In today’s modern era we are using technology more and more; it is constantly evolving and changing. For example; household computers are no longer a limited resource to many, but now reaches a broad range of households, connecting us all globally. As goes for smartphones, the technological advancement is there and continues to grow! Depending on socioeconomic status, many are fortunate to have access to these technological advancements, but there are some that are not so fortunate, such as low-level income families living in poverty. According to Koch (2014), many are coining this period as the “Digital Renaissance” (p. 135).  Koch (2014) also states that “The teacher no longer must be seen as the keeper of the true truth, the source of all that is valuable to know. A typical student, through the Internet and other digital resources, has virtually limitless access to information on any topic” (p.136).

According to Koch (2014), there are four major ways digital technology supports learning:

1. Allow students to deal with real-world problems as part of the curriculum

2. Expand the possibilities for simulations and modeling

3. Create local and global communities of learners

4. Create and upload meaningful content (p. 139)

The interactive web offers thousands of tools, such as web 2.0 to enhance the modern day classroom with rich, interactive social media platforms that helps expand on the student’s learning beyond the four walls of the classroom. Here are a few examples of the many Web 2.0 tools shared by fellow classmates that are out there today:

Fellow classmate Leanna Irwin shares a Web 2.0 tool: Pass It! Dental Hygiene Edition. She states her “goal for teaching will be adult students in a Dental Hygiene Program, the entire focus is passing the National Board Exam to become licensed. Pass It! was originally designed as a computer game. Now it is an app available on Google play or Apple store.  It contains the 12 subjects included on the National Board Exam, such as Pathology, Clinical, Pharmacology, and Periodontology. It has over 1,800 questions. There is a cost of $19.99 but that is peanuts compared to the cost of the examination itself.”

Fellow classmate Regina Azimova shares another Web 2.0 tool: Pinterest.com in which she says it is “quickly becoming one of the biggest sources inspiration and innovation when it comes to cooking, design, and education. Education is a prominent fixture on Pinterest now and that, of course, means that education technology plays a starring role. Pinterest is a bulletin board used to create and manage theme based image collections.” This 2.0 tool is one that I am familiar with and would have to agree. Anyone who hasn’t checked it out yet will be amazed on what it has to offer.

Fellow classmate Lisa Lavery shares one Web 2.0 tool that she used in EDUC 300 was edmodo. She states, “This was a teaching tool that was similar to facebook and very easy to navigate. With the growth of facebook, this was a site that I chose to make my lesson plan on because of the ease to use it (in comparison to facebook that is). It could be set up to have personalized alerts as to when assignments are due and a calendar to follow to facilitate when the assignments and quizzes are coming up. There are also blogging sites and discussion forums that will help facilitate the learning process.”

From my own personal experience, I have used the Web 2.0 tool: BrainPop.com. This is a great site for ages 6-11, and covers a variety of subjects such as Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts & Music, Health, or Tech to name a few. This site is great because you can incorporate it into almost any lesson plan, and the site offers free animated movies, interactive quizzes, and other fun activities for the children. Students can also further their education outside the class room with this App which is accessible on any smartphone, Ipod, Ipad, etc., and it is free!

For more examples of Web 2.0 tools Dr. Gusa’s scoop-it page offers other pedagogy and technology resources.

In the reading from Koch (2014) in which it discusses how the “flipped classroom (classroom in which computer technology is utilized in facilitating expanded education) is becoming more and more common in the 21st century.” I have experienced this in a few classes I have taken when I was completing my associate’s degree. I did find it a bit helpful because it did allow time for more discussion during class time, although I do learn better with face-to-face class time. It is nice to change things up and be more open to discussion, which allows for more insight and provides a different view of opinions regarding the lesson from other classmates.

In video from the module: Making Learning Visible: Technology and Teaching for understanding, “the speaker discusses how technology changes the classroom and how teaching will actually take place. With the increased use of technology, the speaker feels that learning should be slowed down, learning socially, and learning constructively.” I think ever since this digital era has begun, people are trying to find ways to get things done easier and faster, which provides more time efficiency. Although this is good, learning should never be rushed; learning and spending time on an education is a life investment that you will have for a lifetime, it will never be taken away. Therefore, “learning should be slowed down, learning socially, and learning constructively.” With a surge of new technologies and social media innovations, Web 2.0 tools are changing this digital era integrating them into the classroom.

Source: usergeneratededucation.wordpress.com

References

Koch, J. (2014). TEACH 2. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

SA: 100pts, met the criteria.